How to Make Magic Reindeer Food For Christmas Eve
A simple ‘Magic Reindeer Food’ treat bag is an easy and inexpensive way to get the kids excited for Santa and his reindeer.
My kids love to sprinkle their reindeer food on the lawn on Christmas Eve every year, it's such a fun way to add some extra magic to Christmas Eve!
We make these cute wooden Magic Reindeer Food Bag tags that can be re-used each year and work well with a simple cellophane bags which can be found at most discount stores or in the party section at the grocery and party stores. Or for the eco-conscious grab some excess fabric and sew a little bag together!
The wooden tag reads:
Sprinkle this reindeer food outside tonight, The moonlight will make it sparkle bright, as the reindeer fly and roam, this will guide them to your home.
Instead of using actual glitter in my reindeer food I prefer to use sugar and coconut, as some glitters can be harmful to wildlife.
How to Make Reindeer Food
You will need:
- Cellophane bags (I reused some left over in the house but can be also be found 50 of these for $2 at my local discount store or alternatively you can check the party section at your local supermarket or places like eBay) OR fabric bags
- Rolled oats
- Sugar or rock salt
- Red food dye/green food dye
- Reindeer Food Bag Tags
- Shredded coconut (you can also use desiccated coconut)
- Editable glitter (available from cake decorating stores)
I like to make a ratio of 1 cup of oats to 1/4 cup coconut and 1/4 cup sugar. Again, it depends on how much you want to add inside each bag/how many kids. I usually add 1/4 cup to each bag. Note: I didn’t have any red food colouring in the house so have removed from this year’s mixture.
Let's make it:
- Add green food colouring to sugar/rock salt and red food colouring to coconut (f using), then mix. You will only need a tiny drop or two in each to colour it.
2. Combine the rolled oats, sugar (red coloured coconut if using), then mix.
- Spoon the mixture into cellophane bags and attach with string.
See our wooden Reindeer food tags here.
This is such a special and fun thing to make with the kids. I hope you enjoy this little tradition as much as my kids.
What food do your children leave out for Santa and his reindeer at Christmas?
At CoCreative Design we're all about making special childhood memories and hand make a variety of our Santa plates, Christmas Eve Boxes, Christmas countdowns boards, custom ornaments and more all designed to bring some extra Christmas fun for your family.
Shop our FULL Christmas collection here.